- there are many more, but we've not personally experienced them yet -
NOTE: By "local," we generally mean within just a very few miles/few minutes of the Villa (Cherry Grove, Ocean Drive & Little River).
(more than 2000 along the Grand Strand, all competing for your business)
CLOSEST Restaurants (less than a mile away) are:
The Shack (really, really low cost dinner specials) on your left as you turn onto Sea Mountain Hwy from Hill St. (on the way to Cherry Grove Beach). Food is OK/nothing to brag about, but the specials are really CHEAP, so lots of teens and large families eat there - GO EARLY! They also have quick take out - if you call ahead. 1128 Sea Mountain Hwy (at Hill St.), Cherry Grove Beach, SC, 29582 (843) 663-3636 (Phone)
Captain Poos Bar & Grilll -- on the road toward Myrtle Beach is this water front place close to the US17 - ICWW overpass. They say the food is "pretty good" (during Bike Week it becomes a biker's bar). 2203 Little River Neck Road North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582, (843) 249-7881
Pam's Oyster Bar. Just past Poos., the ICWW Overpass and just across Sea Mt. Hwy. (still on the way to MB) on the left is this almost new, little place the locals absolutely swear by (busy happy-hour there). We plan to try it the next time we are in town. 2100 Old Hwy 17, North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582 - (843) 249-0222
* Bonefish Grill - 103 Highway 17 S, North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582, (843) 280-6638 -- Yes, it is a chain, but at this one, it's also food done right.
* Hoskins Restaurant ,405 Main St, Ocean Drive Beach, SC, (843) 249-2014 -- Get there early, especially for dinner -- lines are long after 5:00 pm (when they open). Probably the "best deal" on the Grand Strand. Very good, low cost food and family owned/operated there for many, many years.
* For something quick, and a bit quirky, try: Boulineau's IGA Food Market - 212 Sea Mountain Hwy, Cherry Grove, SC 29566, (843) 249-3556 -- Very large deli/buffet, with a wide range of fresh food, in this grocery store by the sea. (while you're there, don't miss the big upstairs area -- for some vacation shopping.)
OK, enough for now, but we'll keep adding to this list as we find the good stuff and the time to update this section (see "critics area" below).
Soon, we will begin reviewing our personal experiences at the "notable" places we patronize -- (run-of-the-mill/commonly known, franchise joints will not be reviewed). If you, as one of our guests, care to have your say, too, please send us your experiences via our contact page (or send e-mail address and we will contact you for the review).
For enterprises offering truly outstanding experiences, we will attempt to negotiate additional incentives (discounts, etc.) for you to patronize them as well (info on these will be found in the Villa's "Welcome" book when you arrive).
About a mile after turning right (South) from the gates at Tidewater, Little River Neck Road road becomes the entrance to US Hwy 17 South - toward Myrtle Beach, Within one mile, you will find a Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Office Depot, Office Max, and numerous other national chain stores and many smaller specialty retail outlets.
* Big Lots, Belk, Roses, Harbor Freight and many more in the same area
* A LARGE, flea market style shoping center, featuring local artisians, antuque shops etc. is all under one roof there, too.
* And, this list just goes on. and on and on -- so we'll stop now.
Grocery Shopping is also very close, and plentiful, with:
* Bolineaus IGA right at the ocean on Sea Mountain Highway in Cherry Grove Beach (pass by every time you go to the beach)
* Bi-Lo and Kroger on the corner of Main Street (Ocean Drive Beach) and US Hwy 17
* WalMart Super Center on the left just past Main street
* Food Lion, Harriss Teeter, Baja and others appear as you go south on US Hwy 17 in North Myrtle Beach, A couple miles further down the line on US Hwy 17 are:
Barefoot Landing a large area of boutique shopping, restaurants and entertainment. You've just gotta stop and explore this place for yourself -- its top notch and soooo entertaining in many respects.
Myrtle Beach Mall (situated between Barefoot Landing and Restaurant Row) is anchored by Belk, JC Penny, and Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World and also features Islamorada Fish Co. and 12 stadium-seating movie theaters.
Tanger Outlets: North Myrtle Beach which offers more than 400 brand name factory stores.
Down in Myrtle Beach (about 15 miles away) the shoopping really get serious with:
Coastal Grand Mall which offering more than 100 stores like, Ulta, Dick's Sporting Goods, Caché, Bed Bath & Beyond, Old Navy, Jos A. Banks, etc.
Around that Coastal Grand Mall are many, many other retail stores (loads of furniture, dry goods, specialty stores and the like).
Another fantastic Tanger Outlets is found near that mall on Hwy 501 (couple miles toward Conway, away from the Ocean).
This area is really is a foodies and shoppers heaven.
Just past the end of all this one finds the city of Georgetown, an old seaport and manufacturing town worthy of a visit in its own right. So far, whenever we've ventured that far, we've always succomed to the siren's lure that is Charleston, SC and continue the extra hour (~60 miles), through georgeous costal wetlands, to visit that beautiful old antebellum seaport. There we find all the history, activities and warm southern charm that one could possibly imagine.
So, let's see, this Villa sits in the middle of world class Golf facilities, world class Beaches, world class Restaurants, world class Entertainment, world class Shopping, world class fishing and world class tourist destinations. Yep! That sums up to be a pretty desirable vacation spot, unlike any other we can think of -- how about you? To make your reservations start here.